Riding in a ferry

Today, I decided not to take a one hour and thirty minute trip back home after clam fishing. Instead, I decided to catch the ferry.

It was 3:50pm. We were wrapping up clam fishing and the ferry would leave at 4:15pm. Quickly, I drove over to the ferry terminal and to my delight, discovered that it was under 20 dollars. I would definitely be able to ride the ferry!

I hadn’t ridden a ferry in over three and a half years, so I was definitely excited this time.

Right when I got on, I looked around. The ferry was expansive, with rows and rows of seats in the middle and restaurant-like arrangements of seats and tables on the sides. Giant windows lined the side of the ferry. As I turned to my left, I could see two open doors, leading to the stern of the ship.

As I walked around the corner, there was a small school-style cafeteria on my left. I kept walking and discovered that the ferry was symmetrical.

As soon as I stopped exploring the ship, I went outside. The wind increased ever so slightly every minute until it was blowing my face and my hair back. I looked up and saw seagulls flying at the same speed that our ferry was going at; they appeared to float in midair, wings extended out. I looked down and saw the white spray that the ferry created, just like in the movie Titanic. At some point, a man decided to feed the seagulls. He grabbed a piece of bread and stuck his hands out. Not long after, two large and very hungry seagulls came in and snatched the bread and retreated very jerkily. This went on for about two minutes, until more seagulls came in and they started fighting. The man decided to call it off and when he went back inside the ferry, he was greeted with a warm and hearty applause.

Seattle was getting closer, and our one-hour ferry ride was coming to an end. I could see the whole city in one glance: the shipyard, the high-rises, Seattle Center, and the multi-million dollar mansions on each side in green hills. We got progressively closer and closer until I could see details on each skyscraper. Then an announcement came over the intercom: it was time to leave.