I don’t know about you, but I’m more of a keyboard user than a mouse user. I can navigate a computer much faster with a keyboard. This is why I’m really big on keyboard shortcuts. For example, I really despise people who don’t know Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V (or Cmd, for Mac users) and instead use the mouse. Copy and paste is something that everyone knows, but here’s a few that you probably don’t.
- Alt + Ctrl + Tab: Similar to Alt + Tab, but when you let go of Tab, your “window selector” remains there
- WinKey + Space: Makes all active windows transparent letting you see the desktop.
- WinKey + D: Minimizes all active windows, showing the desktop
- WinKey + [number]: Will launch a program from the start bar. Pressing number “x” will launch the xth program from the left.
Firefox 3.6 +
- Ctrl + Tab: Fast way of switching tabs, will give tab previews like Alt + Tab
- Ctrl + [number]: Switches to the xth
tab from the left, x being the number
- Ctrl + J: Shows the Downloads window
If there’s any more keyboard shortcuts that I missed, leave a comment.